Friday, February 03, 2006

Lovingly Chosen

I know that after centuries of theological debate, that my blog is not about to change anybodies mind on election. I know that for most of you on the ministry team, this will be "preaching to the choir." Having said that, I couldn't get past 1 Thessalonians 1:4 today without commenting on it.

God has a history of choosing people. Jacob and Esau, the nation of Israel, who could be a priest, who would die, kings, what choices people would make, etc.

He has not gone through history choosing brothers, leaders, and nations to suddenly change His modus operandi and leave it up to us. I know for me personally, it is a good thing He didn't leave the choice with me. If left to my own devices, I would have moved in the exact opposite direction of God. Not only does Romans 3:9-18 tell me as much, I know my fleshly nature all to well. It is enough of a battle with God on my side, it would be hopeless with out Him.

Rather than fear, anger, feelings of injustice, I feel a great degree of joy and peace in knowing that a perfect, all-knowing God, who not only created me but also the entire earth, chose me!

Not only that, but He loved me. Despite me being against Him, He chose to love me and express that love by choosing to make me one of His. I didn't deserve it, I didn't earn it, I didn't figure it out, I was chosen.

So what do we do with this little bit of info? How does it change how you witness?

We need to avoid the danger of slipping into a hyper-Calvinist approach to our lives. We are still called to witness. We don't know who God has chosen, only that He has called us to witness. At the same time, find a peace about your witnessing. No one will go to hell because you couldn't convince them to become a Christian.

I encourage each of you to study more about the doctrine of election. Here are some links to additional resources.

Chosen By God - by Dennis McBride
Chosen By God - R.C. Sproul
Chosen By God Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 - John MacArthur

Jamie

1 comment:

Scott Hambrick said...

In the first place, God clearly commands us to take the Gospel of Christ and preach it throughout the world (Matthew 28:18-20). This alone is sufficient to illustrate the point that we should witness. In terms of how election affects my witness, I find supreme comfort in sharing the Gospel for the fact that I know it is not my own words, works, or influence that helps person come to faith in Jesus Christ, but rather the LORD using me. If not for God's sovereignty in election, someones belief or disbelief may depend on my personal abilities to communicate or willingness to communicate the Gospel. Thereby, I now share responsibility for their eternal state. Scripture is clear that there is no good in me, supporting that good works are done by the Holy Spirit working through me. Praise God.